“Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful and since we’ve got no place to go, lets have a cocktail.” Okay, so that’s not how the song goes, but what warms the spirit better than – well – spirits? Seriously, the holiday season can be stressful and it’s nice to kick back with a warm cocktail and a few friends. Of course, that doesn’t mean your cocktail has to be loaded with fat and calories, nor should you have to spend the holidays worrying about the number of alcohol calories you’re consuming. Best of all, your holiday cocktails don’t have to be any less decadent to be healthier than the ones everyone else will be drinking. These hot chocolate peppermint cocktails will warm your body, while providing a delicious shot of chocolate. Both of which can help you better enjoy the holiday season.
Hot Chocolate Peppermint Cocktails
- 4 cups fat-free hot chocolate mix, prepared (appx 270 calories per serving/cup)
- 4 ounces peppermint Schnapps (appx 85 calories per ounce)
- 4 candy canes (mini) – (appx 12 calories per candy cane)
- Fat-free whipped cream (appx 8 calories per each 2 Tbsp serving)
- Cocoa powder
- Pour the hot chocolate into over-sized mugs along with an ounce of peppermint Schnapps and place a candy cane in each mug.
- Top the hot chocolate with a generous portion of whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder.
- Serve immediately as an after dinner drink or as a Christmas party cocktail.
If you like, you could also use cinnamon flavored vodka in this recipe and dust the whipped cream with freshly ground cinnamon. Either way, this cocktail is sure to please and won’t leave you worry about alcohol calories or your waistline. Be sure to leave one out for Santa too. After all, Jolly Old Saint Nick will have a hard night ahead of him and might need a pick me up.